Hi! I'm Tessa, senior design manager for the IBM Cloud design team.
IBM Cloud's console UI is optimized for web, specifically browsers 672px and wider. While most of the web experience works on smaller breakpoints, there is no native IBM Cloud app for iOS or Android, and thus few mobile interactions or patterns. User research has shown an increasing number of users coming to the console from mobile browsers, so as the IBM Cloud design team, we are excited to review a concept for a (partial) IBM Cloud mobile app that takes into account our existing design system but adds native mobile navigation and interactions. For this project, the mobile design concept should focus on the IBM Cloud Resource List, a Catalog Detail Page and the Global Navigation (see photos). After creating the concept, this project requires writing a blog on Medium about the redesign experience, any iteration iterations and your final concept proposal.
Considerations and constraints:
- The design should use Carbon Design System (open-source, including Sketch Library). Since base Carbon was primarily created for web, feel free to leverage other design systems for inspiration on interaction and sizing, but keep in mind all designs must ultimately follow IBM Design Language (colors, iconography, typeface, illustrations).
- You do not have to redesign the entire console for mobile. Focus on the IBM Cloud Resource List, a Catalog Detail Page, and the global navigation, keeping in mind mobile best practices. Pretend the rest of the console exists in a mobile app, but don't worry about how it will work in your concept.
If you'd like to look into the as-is IBM Cloud web UI, anyone can create a free IBM Cloud account, no credit card required. Many resources are also free, so you should be able to play around with creating a resource without needing to add a credit card: [login to view URL]
- The blog you write should mention IBM Cloud, but should avoid disparaging the original web-optimized design.
- IBM is required to meet WCAG AA for accessibility and color contrast (4.5:1 contrast minimum).
- The mobile app concept can be optimized for either Android or iOS. Most of our mobile users are on iOS, but choose whichever you are more comfortable with.