What we actually want is a survey system. It should run from a script so that we can modify the questionnaire script (and write new ones easily for other surveys).
We want someone to design an open source survey system, to be used in field on mobile Windows XP PCs (slates and UMPCs). There is no restriction on language and tools used, however solutions employing a web-browser front-end are preferred.
1. The solution must be easy to use for operators who are not very computer literate.
2. There must be a method to download wirelessly from the tablets to a desktop PC and deliver output via internet to head office (email is okay, as long as it's seamless from the senders point of view). In field, the PCs need to operate stand-alone, with no web or network connection.
3. Must be a method to upload scripts to the PCs.
4. The solution must operate on MS Windows XP tablets & UMPCs.
5. Note that we have long code frames - ability to easily & quickly search them will be advantageous
6. Because of the long code frames, we believe operating the PCs in portrait mode will be best for the operators.
7. The solution is for a survey system, not a single questionnaire. The questionnaires should run from a script that can be modified and created by head office. The operator should be able to choose from a list of installed surveys.
8. The target analysis package is Surveycraft - programmers who are familiar with this system are preferred. Designs which use similar paradigms and scripts will be viewed favourably.
There are three types of end users -
1. Interviewers - use the PCs to collect data from respondents. Not very computer literate.
2. Supervisors - check data collected, download to a desktop PC, and send data to head office. Not very computer literate.
3. Analyst - based at head office - writes scripts, collects data, imports into analysis package. Very computer literate (computer programmer).
1. Single response (i.e. radio buttons)
2. Multiple response (i.e. checkboxes)
3. Entry from image maps (i.e. click on part of an image to branch the survey)
4. Intelligent selection/filtration of codes (i.e. inclusion or exclusion of codes based on previous responses, etc)
5. Capture "other specify" and essay responses from stylus entry
6. Control over layout of codes (e.g. single column, horizontal scale, etc)
7. Intelligent checking (e.g. don't allow multiple response if "refused"/"none" selected, etc)
8. Skips/branching based on previous responses/rules/criteria
9. Nested loops (length both known and unknown in advance)
10. Grids (preferably with mixed data types - e.g. Col 1 checkbox, Col 2 scale, etc)
11. Preamble/instruction fields
12. Showcards (i.e. show screen to respondent, with some codes such as "other", "refused", "don't know" hidden but able to be entered by interviewer)
13. Unique case IDs (for multiple collection devices)
14. Ability for interviewer/supervisor to review/edit cases
1. ASCII text file
2. One line per case
3. Ability to choose the delimiter for questions & loops
More details and sample questionnaire will be sent to the successful bidder