Purpose of this project:
Create a sample data set from the perspective of an autonomous car in simulation.
Usually autonomous cars have lidar and camera sensors. Gazebo can simulate both of them and there is a prebuilt city, vehicles and sensors available. In order to run Gazebo in a usable way you need a _powerful_ machine.
1. Install ROS (robot operating system) melodic (releasename)in the "full-desktop"-version on ubuntu bionic beaver 18.04
2. Install mercurial source control management (sudo apt-get install hg)
3. Clone repository and build [login to view URL] (hg clone [login to view URL] )
** How to build is noted on the repository page
--> this should give you the environment and a vehicle with a lidar sensor
4. Add 8 cameras around the vehicle, please note the position, direction and parameters of the cameras to me.
5. Record ros-bag file from the moving vehicle in the city
* 30 seconds should be enough
* manually drive the vehicle through simulation
* make sure the vehicle is turning (not only going straight) and there are other cars visible within the sensors field of view
* make sure different kinds of buildings are visible in the sensors field of view
* Cameras and lidar shall gather data synchronized (not more than 1ms apart in simulation time, better zero)
* Also record the absolute position of the autonomous vehicle
* Drive by atleast one traffic light
6. From this ros-bag the following data for each time step
* .png images of all the cameras
* save the pointcloud as a binary file with the extension .bin
** using this function [login to view URL]
** pointcloud must be in 3D (x,y,z)
** pointcloud datatype shall be float32
Deliver the following artifacts
** Position and Orientation of each camera relative to the vehicle
** Position and Orientation of the lidar sensor relative to the vehicle
** The recorded ros-bag file
** The extracted images and pointclouds for each timestep of the ros-bag file as a zipped folder (this is the most important delivery)
** The script to extract the data from the ros-bag file
** The changes to citysim in order to get the cameras running
Budget is 50 Euros. If you have worked with ROS and Gazebo before this should be doable in less than 2 days.