We at Video [url removed, login to view] are looking for PHP developers that can build a video editor that can play selected video (by drag and drop into a timeline), optional transitions and exports as MP4 file format and auto upload to YouTube (like YouTube Editor).
Preferably using YouTube Editor as a back end with a front end specifically branded.
We are a startup company focusing on delivering high quality digital video products for small to medium sized businesses. Over the last 3 years we've grown from a small one-woman to an experienced and highly profitable business.
But there's a problem ...
Our customers are crying out for more and more tools. They've got money to pay but we need more smart people to help us do it. And that's where you come in.
Skills you absolutely must have -
- Solid development skills in PHP. We're not just looking for people that can follow tutorials and piece things together. We want people that can actually code.
The first question I'm going to ask you in the interview is to write me a function that reverses a string without using a standard library function to reverse it.
If your solution to this is to Google "PHP string reverse" and tell me about strrev, this job isn't for you.
- Some basic sys admin skills. We don't expect you to know the ins and outs of every single technology involved but you mustn't freak out the moment you have to do something that isn't code.
Here's an example. Our plugins for WP require PHP5.3 and our hosted apps PHP5.5. You'll need to swap between them at some point. If the idea of having to sort that out scares you, this isn't the job for you.
- You need to have great communication skills. Don't worry, we're not talking about having perfect English (nearly our entire dev team have English as a second language) but you will need to communicate with lots of different people in order to get the answers you need. If you can't explain yourself and understand what others tell you, please don't apply.
- Team work. This isn't the kind of company where you get given a job by someone from marketing and work it all by yourself. You'll be part of a team and need to take care of everything that goes along with that including proper source control and updating project management.
- Agile software development using Scrum. If you can write user stories and understand layering, that's a big bonus.
Still with us?
Fantastic, let me take a moment to explain what we offer in return -
- A team of smart people to work with and learn from.
- Freedom to get on with the job. We're not some giant company with dozens of people between you and a result. You'll be part of a small team that's trusted to get on and deliver great software.
- Flexible working hours - We have people working from all over the world so we've developed systems to cope with that. As long as you can be online for the important few conversations (like project briefs) the rest of it is down to you to schedule.
Sounds like what you're looking for? Great.
Send us details of what you can and can't do (be honest, it's important) as well as a few details about who you are as a person and we'll be in touch.
Final note: The first question asks why you're applying for this job. Don't answer it just copy and paste this line into the answer box -
"I'm not an idiot, I read the job description!"