I am looking for a long-term PHP programmer for a web site that simulates sports, such as basketball and baseball. The sports games are simulated using PHP. Players' ratings and stats are stored in mySQL databases along with results of the games.
- Decent skill designing algorithms – can think through a problem and put together an algorithm to work to the solution
- Must be able to devote 10 hours/week to the project
- Must have experience with PHP and mySQL
- Must be able to coordinate with other developers on project and coordinate ongoing work among other programmers
- Must be able to maintain configuration control of current build among other programmers
- Knowledge of baseball and/or basketball
Nice to Haves:
- Experience implementing web site security features
- Knowledge of CSS & Web Design
Baseball Example: A baseball batter has a rating between 0-100 on how well he steals bases. A catcher has an arm rating between 0-100 (how well he throws to bases to get basestealers out). How would you determine if a baserunner tries to steal a base, and how would you determine whether he is successful or not? Program this into PHP and log the stats to a MySQL database.
Basketball Example: A player gets hurt or gets tired during a basketball game. How do you decide who comes into replace him? Program this into PHP and log the stats in MySQL.
If you are interested, please include the following info:
1) Rate yourself 1-5 (1=novice, 5=pro) in the following categories:
- Knowledge of the sport of Baseball
- Knowledge of the sport of Basketball
- Knowledge in the sport of Football/Soccer (not American Football)
- PHP Programming Skill
- Algorithm Development Skill
- Website Security Skill
- Knowledge of CSS
- Knowledge of Web Design/HTML
I don't expect you to have 5's in all categories.
2) The PHP development environment (program) you use (we use Zend Studio, for example)
3) Your approximate cost in 10 hour blocks of your time & your cost in 40 hour blocks of your time and whether you would be willing to reduce the per hour costs for a portion of the future profits.
4) Give me a reason to believe you can and want to devote 10 hours/week to this. If you can't devote 10 hours/week, let me know what you can devote to this project.
5) What your philosophy on coordinating programming tasks among several programmers and how to maintain configuration control? (How would you coordinate programming tasks and maintain configuration control?)
Who should not bid on this:
1) If you do not know anything about baseball and/or basketball, this is not for you.
2) If you have answered questions 4 & 5 above in less than 5 words each, this is not for you.
Ignore the budget of $250-$750 for this in the posting - I'm looking for a long-term solution.