The point of this system is to enable users to check that their email newsletter will display correctly on all the common email clients.
The user would do the following:
- Send their HTML email newsletter to a specified email address
- Select the email software they wish to see it displayed on (for a list of these, see below)
- Receive screenshots of their email displayed in the various email clients
The email software/clients we'd like to offer are as follows:
- Microsoft Outlook 2000
- Microsoft Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Yahoo! Mail
- Mozilla Thunderbird
It would, where appropriate, show the email on those email clients with both "images on" and "images off" settings. It would also record whether the email was marked as "spam" by any of the programs/services.
It will need to take a screenshot of both the usual email client window, and a screenshot which shows the *entire* contents of the email message, even if the message window scrolls. One way to achieve this could be by using the software program SnagIt. This has an API which you can use to control it programmatically. But we're also open to any other suggestions on this.
We'll provide the database schema, the development server(s), and so on. You will **not** be required to design a user interface for this project. We're happy for you to provide completely plain HTML pages which are merely functional.
We're a small internet startup of three people - two developers and one designer, who already offer a similar service testing web pages in different web browsers.
Please do ask us any questions you may have. We'd be delighted to speak in detail with potential coders (either over IM or telephone) before we choose one for this project.
This should be a very rewarding project for the chosen coder, with potentially ongoing work in future. Good luck bidding! :-)
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows? (depending on the nature? of the deliverables):
a)? For web sites or? other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software? installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
The email software can run on one or more virtual machines running Windows 2000/XP within a VMWare environment on a Linux server. We're happy for you to use the programming language(s) of your choice, and are happy to take your suggestions as to how the system operates. We're pretty flexible.