I need source code for a VB6 step-wise regression analysis object module. It must be written efficiently (handle millions of records as quickly as possible), well-named, and well-commented.
There is much more work to follow if this works out well. While a cheap price is always nice, reputation, feasible speed, and communication skills are more important. US development is preferred, but not a showstopper (I care very much about clear communications).
I would prefer test-driven development - I believe that it improves software quality, project visibility, and reduces miscommunication.
I will add a 20% bonus (completely at my discretion) if the code is prompt, efficient, and well-documented. I plan to build off this code.
Again, the problem to be solved is, create a well-written (commented, named, etc.) VB6 object module that will efficiently take a very large amount of data and run a step-wise regression. Check if your old stats book is up to snuff. The book that I have is "A Second Course in Business Statistics: Regression Analysis" by Mendenhall and Sincich. It lays out how to do a stepwise regression, matrix algebra, etc. in enough detail that you almost don't need to know statistics.
- VB 6.0
- Standalone object
- Approximate interface:
1) Set # of independent variables (property)
2) Add values for each data point in collection (property)
3) Set t-test threshold (property)
4) Run stepwise regression (method)
5) Read coefficients (property)
- Need Microsoft-style naming convention (example: m_strUserName refers to module-level, string variable for a user name) with good, explicit naming.
- Need comments in code
- Need efficient code (there's a lot of data passing into object)
- Code for matrix algebra should be readily available on web
- While the code needs to be legally mine (and should not copy anyone else's property), you can keep joint ownership for this one project. Feel free to resell it or build on it in the future.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
Will run on XP, but this code should run anywhere that vb is installed.