This should be a quick fix for someone who
understands the problem.
For the last 18 months I have been using the
cerberus help desk and ticketing system from
<[url removed, login to view]>
Last night we stopped receiving emails and
tickets. I think the problem is either a MSQL or
Everyone who submits a ticket sends it to our
default email address which in turn creates a
ticket and an auto reply to the client via
For some reason we stopped getting the tickets. I
tried forwarding all emails from the default email
address to another email address which worked.
That leads me to believe that the problem is with
Here's what I need.
1. We do have an error in one of the fields in
MSQL but it has never caused a problem but I would
like that error fixed.
2. find out the reason why the emails are not
coming through to the cerberus help desk and fix
There will be a bonus if I can get this fixed
Cerberus GUI Version: 2.7.0