This script needs to work with Python 2.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. This script will be used on various public Amazon EC2 images where applications require config files to contain a mysql user and password to connect to the application's database.
This script will yield the following results:
1. Randomize the mysql "root" user password
2. Randomize the system "root" user password
3. append the user names and the new passwords into a file called /root/passwords
4. update the appropriate configuration text files which reference the mysql user names and passwords
This script needs to have the following characteristics:
1. Clear comments which describe what the script is doing in each section
2. Easily extensible to allow sys-admins to add mysql users and configuration file locations as needed
Regarding number 2 above, the target configuration files will all have "place-holders" for the Mysql user name and passwords using whatever strings will make the coding easier on this script. These "place-holders" will be unique for each user and password combination.?
Lastly,? a brief written summary of the script needs to be entered? on our company wiki. The target audience are sys admins with some bash scripting ability, but no python knowledge.
I will consider developers who have not passed the Python Expert certification yet if you have demonstrated proficency and can convince me this project is within your skill set.
Familiarity with AWS EC2 is a plus but not required.
Ability to test in your dev enviroment running Python 2.6 is required.
I will provide you with sample config files for testing.
Thanks for considering bidding on this project!