We currently use the Flix Engine by On2 Technologies to encode videos uploaded to our site. It is powered by a custom PHP backend, but the backend does not support scaling out.
I am looking for an encoding management system which does the following:
1. Provides a way to recieve an input file (preference is FTP) to the management server
2. Management server monitors the health and usage of the encoding servers and assigns encoding jobs to a server that is free, or queues it while waiting for a server to become free
3. Transfers the file to the encoding server, then gets the encoded file back
4. The encoded file will be sent via FTP to our CDN service.
5. The encoded file & the original file will be sent to Amazon S3 for backup.
The system needs to run on linux, and should be written in Perl, Python or Java. It also needs to be able to support an unlimited number of encoding servers, and preferably would be able to support a fail-over system for the management server.