I'm running Joomla 1.5.22 on a dedicated Linux server (which has WHM, cPanel, and phpmyadmin installed) and am experiencing intermittent high server loads - up to 15+ at times. I want to get the server load down to a consistent number less than 4 (since I have 4 CPUs) and stop these extreme spikes in server load. Because the high server load problem is intermittent, you may have to monitor the load in order to see it spike. You will likely need to be available at around 7-10 PM Los Angeles, California USA time as this is when the spikes tend to happen the most.
I've been told by my host that the resource usage on the server is otherwise okay, and that I have free memory and disk space. My host said that the high load is only present when apache is trying to serve my index.php. He tried renaming the file to [url removed, login to view] so that it would no longer serve it and instantly the load dropped down to normal levels. Likewise it went back up once he moved it back to its original name.
I need someone to do whatever tests are necessary to find and fix the cause of this server load. This may involve:
- Using Linux commands to check running processes
- Optimizing MySQL variables and PHP configuration
- Using Joomla's frontend "Debug" display to figure out which plugins/modules/components are eating up memory
- Reviewing PHP code for inefficiencies
- Anything else that you think is necessary to diagnose and fix this problem.
So you should have PHP, MySQL, Joomla & server admin knowledge. Thanks in advance for bidding!