Freelancers are asked to bid on the following project:
Analyse the existing application and the Software Design Specification and formulate recommendations for development platform; provide implementation plan with cost structure and timelines.
1. detailed implementation plan
2. cost break-down of the implementation of your plan
3. timelines for the implementation of your plan
Your bid should include
1. time you require in order to send your deliverables, should you receive notice that you have been awarded the project
3. evidence that you are able to translate into French (for example, a sample of translated work, of sufficient length to allow us to judge the quality of the translation)
4. a statement to the effect that you agree that it is the coder's responsibility to provide tested, documented and validated applications, on or by the agreed deadline.
We intend to retain the services of 2-5 freelancers for this task, and from this pool, to select the freelancer who will implement his proposal. Freelancers who are selected will receive a copy of the SDS, as well as a walk-through of the application itself.
Please note that bidding is open through April 1 2011; the project will only be awarded in April 2011. You may post questions here, but since our project launch date is only April 1, it is possible that you would only receive answers after April 1.
Some context concerning our application and ultimate goal:
The existing application is similar to a sophisticated journal/diary with a phonebook and reminder list. A diary entry may include multiple amendments and attachments, with different users; may contain embedded images (from copy/paste) , urls. There is a search component. There is a meta-search allowing certain users to search multiple databases. There is user authentication. Zipping and automatic backups are available. The application uses MS-Access database as a back end, and the GUI is written in VB6.
New version will be multi O/S (Windows, Linux), and make use of some OpenSource components to enhance existing functionality. For example, the application currently exports reports to Excel; when Excel is not available, the new version will use OpenOffice and prompt for installation. Existing user databases must be imported into the new application. The new version will include a database management system, change of database type and architecture; it must be completely re-written, and include the additional features listed in the SDS. In some instances, it will be necessary to enhance the existing OpenSource component to add required features; one such component is being developed in Python. We require the flexibility to run the application in multiple locations, using the web; an application able to be web-based as well as local is preferred. The new application must be fully blingual (English and French), with on-the-fly language changes. We will retain ownership of the Intellectual Property etc.