We're attempting a modification of the OsCommerce left navigation by combining the following two scripts. (open source contributions available @ [url removed, login to view])
1. Category Box as Nested Unordered List for EZ(er) CSS & Dynamic menus v 1.00
2. Category Box Enhancement, version 1.1
See the attached file; in the pic I'm comparing the resulting column_left or includes/boxes/[url removed, login to view] of ‘Unordered List’ on the left,
to ‘Enhancement’ on the right.
If you noticed, we're 4 levels deep (it's obvious on the ul list on the left side).
What we’re trying to do is basically 4 things;
1. We need to control the amount of tab or space used in ‘Unordered List’ (left side of pic). Because our catalog is four levels deep, the space showing each new level makes the whole column_left width too big. The tab space in ‘enhanced’ (right side of pic) has no graphic; dot, box, or diamond, and that would be fine, the problem with the ‘enhanced’ tab space is that longer category names wrap to a new line that doesn’t respect the tab space. I.E. The tab space must clearly define the 4 levels.
2. We want the Bold Black print type markers of where the customer is in the catalog, like you see in 'enhanced' on the right.
3. And most importantly we want the current catalog location displayed in Bold Red like it does in ‘enhanced’.
4. Finally, with such a deep catalog, over 3000 categories, we can’t afford to add parse time and slow down this website. Both the ‘Unordered List’ and ‘Enhancement’ contributions run pretty fast and are search engine friendly,