I'm writing a book on the topic of computer science that is going to be self-published and requires professional editing and proofreading. The book was written in LaTeX, but I could provide a PDF to edit. It has roughly 200 pages in total (incl. intentionally blank pages, ToC, pages with algorithm listings, tables, figures and dozen pages with references).
It is my first book and English is my second language. Thus I am confident that the text contains grammar and style mistakes, some paragraphs have to be rewritten. I look for a proactive professional editor with experience in non-fiction, computer science books or/and academic texts editing who can make changes and suggestions that will improve the overall quality of my writing, particularly concerning language use and expression.
The goal is to make the text flow naturally so that the future readers can focus on the content. I prefer the American English style since the book is targeted to the readers across different countries. I search for a native speaker professional, who can complete this task with good quality and make the book easy to read.
This task is only about the language, so the structure is not the part of it, but suggestions are warmly welcome.
I expect from you the usual proofreading and editing activity, including
- improvement of the overall quality of the text,
- checks and fixes of any language stylistic errors,
- correction of grammatical and spelling mistakes,
- improvement/rewrite of the incomprehensible, complicated, confusing and bad-styled sentences,
- polishing up the paragraphs (incl. split/merge if required),
- any other activity that you might consider as important.
There is no hard deadline from my side, but I expect the task to be done within the time range suggested by you.
P.S. To get an idea of how the book looks like and how many words per page it has, I’ve attached some random pages. If you have any prior suggestions or think that this task has to be split/modified, let me know and we can discuss. My priority is the quality.
First of all, I've been able to create MS Word (.docx) version of my book, so the editors can use their usual environments and don't need to care about LaTeX. The example of .docx file is attached.
The total number of words in the document is about 36000 (less than expected in the original job description).
Second, I have now a better understanding of the editing process and can explain my requirement to it as well:
- I provide .docx (in Google Docs or Microsoft Word Online, via the link with edit permission) file and PDF file (to use as the primary source about formatting). The .docx file is only editing and collaborative working on the text together with me.
- I prefer to use Google Docs or Microsoft Word Online (instead of the desktop version of the MS Word) since I don't have any other common tools.
- I need as many iterations in Google Docs/Microsoft Word Online as it requires to have the text on which we both (together with the editor) agree
- After we agree on the final version, I will implement the changes in LaTeX and provide the final PDF for the proofreading (you will need to annotate mistakes in PDF directly, that should not be a problem since no rewriting required at that stage, only checks for typos, etc.)
- After the last proofreading of that final PDF, the job is considered as done.
The third, please note the original job description. I want to highlight here once again, that I expect proactive editing (rewrite sentences, write/check transitions, etc.), not just the usual proofreading. The titles of the subsections and headers of the algorithms also considered as text that needs to be checked).
Please, check the description once again and update your bid, if necessary. However, according to the current conversations with editors, the bids above 700 EUR/800 USD have much less probability to be accepted.
49 freelancere byder i gennemsnit €517 på dette job
Hi there, I am a professional in providing high quality edited Books. I am highly interested in this project and I will love to assist you. Regards, Revival