THE MAXIMUM BUDGET FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT IS $35. DONT BOTHER BIDDING OVER THIS FIGURE!
Three Types of Tests on the lnstron Universal Testing Machine (Quasi-Static Loading):
Type-A 1 : (Inversion tube test): Measure and note the dimensions of the tube specimens and the radius of the die. Carry out an inversion test at a slow cross-head speed (3mm/min) initially, and then, at a speed of 15mm/min. Observe the
load and deformation characteristics.
Type-A2 : (Axial tube crush): Carry out axial compression test of the tube specimen between the platens of the machine. Observe the progressive buckling behaviour and the load fluctuations during the test.
Type-A3 : (Lateral tube crush): Conduct the lateral compression test of the tube and observe the load-compression characteristics.
Two Types of Tests (Type-A 1 & Type-A2) using the Drop Weight Apparatus (Dynamic Loading):
1. Note the mass of the drop weight, load cell sensitivity, pitch and sensitivity of the
displacement measuring device.
2. Guided by the results from the quasi-static experiments, approximately set the
height of drop [mgh=area under the load-displacement curve].
3. Adjust the charge amplifier settings (Maximum output of the charge amplifier= 10V. The maximum load expected is about twice the maximum
observed in the quasi-static case). Adjust the time [2x displacement expected/ impact-velocity, full scale] and voltage [10V, full scale] settings on the oscilloscope suitably.
4. Carry out drop tests for Type-A2 and Type-A3. Obtain records of load-time and displacement-time traces from the oscilloscope. Also note the time taken by the hammer to travel 2.54 mm (0.1 in.) just before impact and calculate the velocity.
5. Measure the final height of the specimens to deduce the shortening. Note the deformed state of the tube.