What is the group project about?
You need to select an existing North American organization for the group project. The organization could be a for-profit or not for profit organization, including government agencies. Search the Web and find an organization that the group thinks it would be interesting to study and that has available data for your analyses. Examine the data available; use the skills you have learnt in Excel to present the data, identifying problems areas of the organization and highlighting for example areas of growth, profitability etc.
How do I do the group project?
The following steps will guide you through the process of doing your group project.
• Brainstorm the organization’s general information such as its name, structure and function
• Assign each student a role in the organization e.g. the president, marketing manager and accountant
• Collect relevant data and examine the data
• Assign each student a specific role in terms of performing analyses on the data and make each individual accountable for delivering their work on time. Try to identify strengths of each individual and use them in areas of their expertise.
• Design the user interface (the worksheets)
• Develop the worksheets
• Test and debug the worksheets
• Add automation (e.g., macros) as necessary
• Test and debug the completed application
• Submit worksheets plus all other supporting documents. The work should be properly referenced.
• The spreadsheet should not be simple recreation of tables/charts found on websites of your subject organization.
Specifications about your workbooks/worksheets:
Your workbooks/worksheets will meet the following requirements and your marks will be based primarily on these criteria.
• Include at least 15 worksheets
• Include a documentation/reference worksheet
• Link to a website related to your organization
• Include 3 different type of charts
• Include relative, mixed and absolute references
• Use AVERAGE, MAX, MIN and COUNT functions
• Use a FINANCIAL FUNCTION, i.e., PV, FV or PMT etc.
• Develop a spreadsheet model for a financial forecast
• Use SCENARIO MANAGER
• Include a list and apply DATABASE FUNCTIONS to the list
• Other tools learned in the class (refer to the evaluation guideline spreadsheet)
Resources for financial data
1. [url removed, login to view]
2. Financial Post Advisor (accessed through GBC Library Website)
PLEASE follow the specifications.