GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Responsible for specimen receipt and preparation, records creation, reporting of results and transferring data to accounts receivable. Ensures all patient data is obtained and maintained in accordance with all applicable HIPAA regulations.
1. Performs all of the following:
· enters test requisition data into computer creating an accessioning record which includes: patient demographics and physician data, test requests, ICD- 9CM code, and testing priority;
· initiates an audit trail if any data required for the accessioning record is missing or ambiguous. The trail is initiated from the billing menu when accessioning data is transferred to accounts receivable;
· produces bar code labels
· affixes replicates of labels to test requisition and specimen (blood or other) containers;
· prepares specimens for testing by centrifuging tubes for tests requiring serum or plasma;
· distributes specimens to appropriate departments for analysis;
· communicates with extended care facility (ECF) to correct, clarify, or add any information found to be in question or missing on the test requisition;
· communicates with the Laboratory Director and/or the Compliance Officer if accessioning irregularities have not been resolved at the time of accessioning.
2. Modifies test request data after obtaining previously missing, incomplete, or physician clarification information.
3. Enters patient information for potential new clients provided by facility
4. Follows established protocols to determine which patients’ test result data requires immediate reporting by telephone (ALERTS).
5. Communicates with nursing personnel at ECFs to relay ALERT test values.
6. Maintains appropriate documentation (JCAHO initiative) of nurse’s name, title, and “read back” of all ALERT call-in results.
7. Ensures timely and accurate transfer of patient, physician, and billing information from the test requisition into computer patient database.
8. Ensures timely and accurate transfer of physician’s request for laboratory testing from the test requisition into computer requisition file.