1 Producer-consumer Problem using C/C++ and Pthread APIs (NOT Thread-safe)
Implement a simple producer/consumer program using POSIX threads. You are to design the threads to run with a preemptive scheduler (note: Each call to pthread_create() will create a kernel thread on Linux and all kernel threads will be run with a preemptive scheduler on Linux) and to communicate through a bounded buffer. Design the buffer to have 10 slots.
- DO NOT use mutex or semaphore at all!
- Design the shared buffer to have 10 slots:
o Use an integer array to hold the contents of the buffer
o Use a counter variable to hold the number of occupied cells
o Use a variable to keep track of the next location for the producer to insert a value
o Use a variable to keep track of the next location for the consumer to remove a value.
o Do not forget to initialize the counter and the two variables.
- Implement the bounded shared buffer in a way that is NOT thread-safe, not protecting the update of
the counter or the two variables.
- Only one producer thread and only one consumer thread will be created in addition to the main
- The producer thread should send a sequence of integers to the consumer. Specifically, it should send the sequence 1, 2, 3, ..., 1000000, in that order by inserting each value in order to the shared buffer. In case that the buffer is full, it should do busy waiting using a while loop. Once all the values have been inserted, the producer thread should call pthread_exit();
- The consumer thread should receive them and check that it has indeed received exactly that sequence, in that order. If you should expect that something will go wrong. The consumer should discover that the numbers received are not in the correct sequence. As soon as the consumer sees an error, it should report how much of the sequence was received correctly, and what the next (incorrect) number was.
- You don’t have to create separate functions for insert_item() and remove_item().
[Sample run] % ./producer_consumer1
ERROR: The consumer received the sequence up to 12000 correctly. The next number (incorrect) number was 12004.
• Makefile should be provided.
• The name of the executable file should be “producer_consumer1”.
8 freelancere byder i gennemsnit $126 på dette job
Hello I did read your project detail carefully(producer-consumer console program) I can develop this program. I am sure that I can send you best result in two days. Please contact me Best regards.
Hi, how are you. I have long experience with C and pthread programming. I have read your project. I am sure you are fully satisfied with me in this project. I hope your response.