Title: Foundation in Pharmacology
Budget : £20
You must have experience writing such essays, or at least been in a medical career/uni. Essay:
For a specific named disease or condition, explain how a drug may be used in the treatment of the condition (1000-1500 words).
You will be required to undertake some independent research using books, reliable website or journal articles to find information about your chosen condition and the relevant drug treatments. You should check with your tutor before you start, that your have chosen a condition that can be easily researched.
The essay should include subheadings and diagrams (referenced correctly), and MUST include a full list of references. Further information: In the essay you SHOULD, · Choose a specific condition (e.g. osteoarthritis, peptic ulcers, depression), and review a common drug treatment for this condition.
Your review should mention the relative risks and effectiveness of treatment. · Describe how your chosen drug is delivered and absorbed, explaining the characteristics of these methods, and why they are important. · Give an outline of how the drug is taken up, metabolised and eliminated from the body. ·
Identify the site of action of the drug and describe how proteins are involved in the drug action (e.g. receptor proteins, ion channels, carrier proteins, enzymes). · Identify and explain the possible side effects that can be caused by the chosen drug. ·
For your chosen drug, explain how interaction with other drugs or treatments can change the effect of the drug. · Explain the importance of drug dosage, including the implications of changes in the rate of administration.
You will need to consider the routes of absorption, metabolism and elimination of the drug. · You should use a variety of sources of information (e.g. books, reliable websites, journal articles), cite them within your essay, and produce a list of references in Harvard style at the end of the essay. General Essay Criteria:
1) Give examples of the site of action of specific drugs.
2) Describe and evaluate the importance of different delivery and absorption routes for drugs.
3) Summarise the process of uptake, metabolism and elimination of drugs from the body
4) Explain with reference to examples how drugs can produce side effects and interact with each other to change their pharmaceutical effect.
5) Explain in importance of correct drug dose with reference to minimum effective concentration (MEC); maximum safe concentration (MSC); therapeutic index and half life. 6)Review the use of drugs to manage a particular condition.
A sample of LAYOUT is attached. only to see how the lay out should be.