Undergraduate Level Essay
CRITICAL PERSPECTIVES IN ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
Deadline: 28 FEB 2011
PLEASE SEE attachment first, then choose a topic from seminar 1 or 2, the literature will be given.
more than 7 references needed in this essay, and should be from READING LIST.
Seminar paper critique - (1500 words)
Write an essay critiquing of one of the seminar papers (choice of 1 from 8). You should use the questions in each of the seminars as a guide, and additional credit will be given for evidence of wider reading and analysis of the issues.
A critique is defined as ‘a critical commentary or analysis’, ‘giving an assessment of the good and bad qualities.
You might consider the following questions, (among others):
Why does the researcher think the subject matter is important?
How has the researcher developed the research question (what is the research question)?
What do other researchers say on the issue?
Have any other researchers taken issue with this paper?
How has s(he) chosen the research methodology and method, and how appropriate is it in the context of the paper – could alternative approaches have been used?
How logically do the conclusions follow form the research
What is the contribution of this article to knowledge in general, and to related literature, in particular?
You will be marked according to five criteria:
• Quality of Presentation – 10%
• Understanding and use of Theory – 20%
• Quality of Analysis – 30%
• Structure and Argument – 25%
• Conclusions- 15%
SEMINAR 1 Accounting for gender and diversity
Gallhofer, S. (1998). "The Silences of Mainstream Feminist Accounting Research." Critical Perspectives on Accounting 9 (3): 355 – 375.
Haynes, K. (2008) “(Re)figuring accounting and maternal bodies: The Gendered Embodiment of Accounting Professionals” Accounting, Organizations and Society, 33, 328 – 348.
1. How successful has accounting been in encompassing women, in particular, within it?
2. What current gender issues do you see as facing the profession?
3. Why should ‘embodiment’ be an issue for a profession?
4. What theories might help us understand gender issues in accounting?
5. Critique why the issue of race has been ‘silenced’ in accounting.
SEMINAR 2 The Purpose of theory – and link to ethical behaviour
Gray, R. H., J. Bebbington, et al. (1994). "Teaching ethics and the ethics of teaching: educating for immorality and a possible case for social and environmental accounting education." Accounting Education 3(1): 51-75.
Sikka et al, (2007), Professionalizing Claims and the State of UK Professional education: Some evidence. Accounting Education, vol. 16, no.1, 3-21. also downloadbable electronically
Perks, R. W. 1993. Accounting and Society. London: Chapman & Hall.
1. Derive a definition of ethics from your own experience.
2. What have ethics to do with an objective, neutral activity like accounting?
3. is accounting objective and neutral?
4. What changes might be made to the way accounting education is structured to make graduates more ethically aware?
5. Do professions always act in the public interest?
8 freelancere byder i gennemsnit £50 for dette job
Hi, I hope that I can help you with your need. I have written critical papers, research, and academic papers for variety of topics. Please see my PM for samples. Thanks you.