Digital Artist for Multi-Book Deal - must be able to draw realistic, elegant cats (& other animals)
- Status: Open
- Præmier: $200
- Modtagne indlæg: 13
Enter this competition only if you're interested in being awarded a multi-book deal. Up to 15 books, approx 20 landscape format illustrations in each. $USD2000 per book. Guaranteed national exposure for your work in Australia. But there are specific skills the artist must have, & this is what the competition is intended to find.
This competition has 2 elements:
1. Can you accurately recreate the cat in the sample images? Step 1 is to present this specific cat in a range of realistic poses. B/w sketches are fine, but include at least 1 colour sample that shows her face & body markings.
- She is a real-life Bengal cat, whose head reaches her girl's knees.
2. Can you accurately recreate the young woman in the sample images? Step 2 is to present her in the dress for which a photo has been provided, in a range of realistic poses. B/w sketches are fine, but include at least 1 colour sample where her face is clearly shown.
- She is a tall, slim young French woman, aged about 18. She lives in Art Deco era Paris, but she & the cat have adventures around the world. The ability to draw Art Deco fashion with an eye for detail for the fall of the fabric, the texture & small details will also be an essential skill, as this character will appear in lovely outfits in all her scenes.
If you can accurately recreate these 2 characters in a range of poses, all other characters & everything else in the series will be up to you & me to create. But you must be able to draw the 2 main characters as they have already been depicted.
Adding some background to your sketches will show me more fully what you can do. The backgrounds do not have to be detailed & as long as they're from the Art Deco era I don't mind what they are or the country or countries in which you set them. BUT! Bear in mind that I MUST have a digital artist who can draw & paint digitally, not simply cut & paste elements onto backgrounds.
- When considering backgrounds, you should know that books will be set in France, Italy, Morocco, China, Japan, India, Africa, Australia, the US, etc, so there's no limit on what you can create for your competition entry as long as it's in the Art Deco era. There will also be one book set in Space & on an alien planet, in the Steampunk style as well as Art Deco.
More broadly, if you are awarded the contract for this series, you should also know that some characters will be based on real-life people, so some ability to create photo-realistic characters will definitely help. Many different animals will also feature, including wolves, foxes, cranes, elephants, tigers, lions, monkeys, a large white standard poodle, birds, all sorts of insects, etc. They'll need to be presented in a realistic manner, rather than cutsie cartoon animals. No Disney, no naive children's book look. This series will feature simple but elegant, sophisticated images in the French Art Deco style.
I want to develop a strongly collaborative relationship with the artist, who can follow a detailed brief but also contribute their own ideas to make each image the most beautiful it can be.
Feel free to provide links to relevant pre-existing art in your portfolio, if you think it will help your entry. I will enter into discussions with the competition winner to see if we're going to be able to work together for an extended period. But if you're a close runner-up you might still be considered for this or other book projects coming up.
I know the skills I'm looking for aren't common. But in return I offer 1) the prize money for winning the competition, 2) a multi-book contract, & 3) guaranteed national exposure for your work in Australia via a nationally-distributed glossy magazine & a large bookshop chain that has undertaken to stock & promote the series.
I don't care if you have no prior experience illustrating books. I do care that you're a talented digital artist, able to draw and paint to a detailed brief & with the enthusiasm to create something we're both proud of.